Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Here Comes Ambre!

Now that the room is painted, we needed to have a place for Ambre to sleep. We always knew that her room would be a guest room, but we haven't had any guests in the last 3 months, so we never needed to do anything with it. So it was a collect-random-things-that-don't-have-any-other-logical-place-to-go-just-yet room. This included a very large stack of mattresses (when we bought the house there were some fake mattresses left over from the model home days and we weren't sure if we should throw them away or not).


So the first problem was the bed. We didn't have a ton of money to spend on a bed, and we knew that she wasn't going to be staying forever, so we needed to come up with an economical option that still allowed the room to feel like home.


After several different ideas, I thought, "hey, why don't I just make one!"


Now, in the past, I've always had this idea with everything I've ever come across. But typically it didn't work out. My imagination far supercedes any talent that I have in creating things.


But now I have Anthony.


I'm typically the brains, and he is the brawn.


Actually, I'm the dreamer, and he just makes it all work out. He can tell me "yes, that will work" or "no, we'll probably have to do it like this."


So as I'm sitting in sacrament meeting, I drew up the plans to build a headboard for Ambre's new bed. And I didn't want it to be too easy, of course, so I made sure to have decorative gaps and some bamboo panels - since Ambre lived in Hawaii, I wanted to do an island theme in the room.


All of the materials cost about $50. We bought all the wood from Home Depot: a single finished 4x4 cut in half, a finished 4x1, a finished 2x1, some MDF backing, nails, and dark walnut stain. The bamboo panels were actually a table runner from Target cut into 3 pieces.


Then, all my Ikea furniture building experiences came into good use. Here's the finished product:






And a close-up:

Once we had the headboard in place, we put the finishing touches on the room, adding some new pictures and accessories, as well as my new favorite love - houseplants!

Welcome to Arizona, Ambre!

1 comment:

Lisa Marie said...

Wow! That headboard is awesome! I dream of being that crafty... maybe someday.