Monday, March 30, 2009

#3: Field Museum

Although it wasn't as cool...or alive... as "Night at the Museum," I really enjoyed going to the Field Museum.




There was a ton to see here! Unfortunately, we didn't have time to see everything.




I kept picturing what it might be like if the dinosaur came to life...



And then took on these elephants, because they didn't look to happy to begin with.



Oh, and in case you were wondering, the head on the t-rex isn't real. It's completely fake. The real head is upstairs because it weighs over 600 lbs and was too heavy to mount! Gosh, and I thought I worried about my weight!

I guess I am glad that the dinosaur didn't come to life, because I wouldn't want to see these teeth coming after me!


When we got there, we were kinda bummed out, because the pirates display was completely sold out. But our tickets gave us admission to one of the special non-permanent exhibits, so by default we got the "underground exhibit."

Now, this musuem must be getting some fantastic funding, because after we went down to the basement to the exhibit, they had this special machine set up that shrunk us down to about 3/4 of an inch tall so that we could explore in the dirt and see what it was really like to be a bug (and I don't like bugs...). It wasn't quite as spectacular a procedure as what Wayne Szalinski put together all those years ago, but it was completely painless, and I was glad that my taxpayer money is going toward something cool, rather than just new streets and fighting wars and all that.

Anyway, we enter into this underground exhibit, and the first thing I see is...

Yeah, a wolf spider, the size of my freaking couch. I don't like them when I'm human-sized, so it kinda freaked me out being only 3/4 of an inch tall. I'm actually surprised I remained calm enough to take this picture. Especially since it moved. Toward me.

Then Anthony and I had a chance to see what we would look like as little bugs. It was kind of a thing for kids, but I still fit. Anthony...well...he tried...

After some more playing in the dirt, we decided it was time to be our normal size again (although I swear the machine made me just a little taller...not that I have any complaints!)

The next stop was the Ancient Egypt exhibit - my favorite bit of history! On the way though, there was a stuffed gorilla, with a plaster mold of its palm print. Here's Anthony's hand in comparison:

I always knew he had gorilla hands.

Here's my hand:

Yeah, I have little baby hands.

Anyway, so we were off to Ancient Egypt!

What I wasn't quite prepared for was the real mummies in the glass cases. Once I got over the fact that they were actually 2000 year old dead bodies, they were somewhat fascinating.

I couldn't resist taking a picture of this statue, just to let Prinx know that if he had lived 2000 years ago, he'd be worshiped as a god. He already thinks he is anyway.

Here's a random picture of Anth and I walking down the hallway:

There were a lot of other interesting little exhibits in the musuem, and I took far too many pictures to upload, but here are some other highlights:

A lion:

Some butterflies:

Some mayan guy:

And a couple totem poles (reminded me of Alaska):

No comments: