Sunday, March 15, 2009

Another Painting Project

I love to paint!

Did I stress that enough yet?

So, I am very excited also for my darling sis-in-law Ambre to move to AZ! She'll be staying with us for the next few months at least while she gets a job, looks for a husband, etc! LOL! (Anyone know any really hot single guys?!)

And as excited as I am for her to come down, I was also thrilled at the prospect of painting another room in my house! Since it was a model home, all of the rooms were painted in some way. Most of them we were quite happy with, but not the guest room.

Here is the before picture:


Yeah, teal and brick red. I mean, who comes up with a color combination like that?! And this was after we had taken down the, um, dragonfly valence over the window and added the bamboo shade and red panels.

Well, I had another option to flex my design muscles and create this into a beautiful living space. I loved the striping, just not the colors, so I decided to only paint over the blue. I taped off right over the red lines and then used a sealant to make sure the tape didn't come off or have any bleed through.

Then we picked out two nice neutral shades of brown, just slightly apart in darkness. First, I painted the lighter color solid over the blue. Then I added a glaze to the darker color and sponged it over the entire thing. Unfortunately, the glaze lightened the darker color just enough that it was hardly noticeable over the other paint - although it did darken slightly when it dried. So, I got creative and sporadically sponged the darker color without the glaze on a few places.

Now the room looks much better:

No comments: