Monday, July 28, 2008

Random Act of Kindness

Tonight I was the victim of a random act of kindness. It really was completely random - no point at all to it, just someone being very nice!

I was on my way driving to San Diego for work, and decided to stop for dinner in Yuma. I was craving breadsticks and alfredo sauce, and since there really aren't many nice places to eat in Yuma, Olive Garden it was!

When I finished the delightful meal, my waitress brought me my Andes mints (the best part!) and said that I didn't need to pay, someone had already picked up my check! I asked her about it, and whoever it was had already left. It wasn't some guy trying to pick up on me, and she wouldn't say anything about who it really was. Someone had just seen that I was eating dinner all by myself and decided to pay for my meal for me. And that was that. I was completely blown away! They didn't want anything in return, they didn't try to talk to me or do anything. And I was dressed in business apparel, so I didn't look like a homeless girl trying to bum a meal. They just wanted to do something nice. It felt really great for me, so I hope they feel good as well.

And since I didn't have the opportunity to thank them for that wonderful bit of generosity, I'm going to try to find a way to pass it on to someone else this week. I don't know what I'll do exactly, but it feels right to give the gift to someone else now. Someone proved to me today that there still are great people out there who don't need a reason to help others. And I want to do that for someone else.

No comments: