Friday, October 28, 2011

The Bombing of Jasper Street

Somehow, it seems that every living being in my house isn't feeling quite right.

As far as the humans go, we're on the verge of a full on rhinovirus outbreak. If you didn't know, rhinovirus is the virus that causes the common cold. I use the term rhinovirus here, because "cold" doesn't seem to quite capture the present situation the way rhinovirus does. And by that, I mean if you were to come into my bedroom at 4 in the morning, it would sound like you entered into the den of a family of sleeping rhinoceros (what is the plural form of rhinoceros?! Rhinoceroses?!). That is, it would sound like that if all of the rhinoceroses had stuffed up noses and snored like a freight train. Well, except for me - I never make any ugly bodily noises, whether awake or asleep, of course. I'm a perfect lady at all times. And I don't mean my baby either - all of his noises are freakin' adorable. So basically, I just mean my husband.

So here I am, at 4AM, sleeping next to a WWII bombing air raid, sirens and all. I may be exaggerating just a little bit, but at 4AM, any noise seems extra loud and annoying. Besides, the baby wakes me up enough at night, so every minute of sleep I can get is extremely valuable. I gently tried to move him ever so slightly in the hopes that he might wake up just enough to move into a new, quieter position, but nothing worked. It really is an art, the process of getting someone to stop snoring without actually waking them up. I have practiced this art often, to the point that I have him mostly trained to do it on his own (what a good husband), but when he starts to feel sick, all those years of training just go out the window. And this time, I had apparently lost touch with my skills.

So instead, I just shoved him lovingly repositioned him. That worked, but almost too well. He had no idea that I was the one to wake him up. I felt his arm clumsily grasping around the bed to see if I was there with him or up with the baby. Apparently when he touched my arm, I felt cold, so he pulled the blankets over me and made sure they were tucked up around me. What a sweet husband! I was so touched by his tender gesture.

And then he immediately fell back asleep and resumed his air raid.


No comments: